Fairlawn Embrace Action Fund
Street Health is a non-profit community-based agency that improves the health of homeless and under-housed people in Toronto. They offer both physical and mental health support, and are focused in the neighbourhood around Dundas and Sherbourne Streets.
Rationale for supporting Street Health
- The work that Street Health does is aligned with our EA vision to provide symptomatic relief and support to those whose lives are precarious.
- Street Health has a core focus on poverty.
- It is on the front lines of the fentanyl crisis.
- Fairlawn sees the potential for partnering on issues of social justice. Street Health has a lot of research on the community that they serve. They are receptive to working with Fairlawn with respect to advocacy.
- The volunteer opportunities are limited primarily to health professionals.
Street Health had a challenging year in 2018/19. See their annual report.
A quick note of thanks to Fairlawn Avenue United Church and the Embrace Action Fund for the generous and much needed donation … to support Street Health’s services in 2019. As your letter highlights, the current situation in the mid east region of Toronto is quite critical, but with support like yours, Street Health continues to offer vital support for the healthcare needs of those experiencing homelessness. We can’ tthank your group enough for this generous, ongoing support.
Cathy Callaghan, StreetHealth
For the latest on the funding challenges Street Health faces for its Overdose Prevention Site, see their fall newsletter. We are watching this OPS funding dilemma closely. The newsletter also has some interesting facts about the Street Health’s clientèle.