L’Arche Toronto helps individuals with intellectual disabilities discover their gifts and abilities, and supports them to achieve their goals for a meaningful life. It provides support for daily living, employment, and community participation, as well as Sol Express, a creative and performance event, and Trying It on For Size (TIFS), a life skills initiative.
Rationale for supporting L’Arche
- The work that L’Arche does is aligned with our EA vision to provide symptomatic relief and support to those whose lives are precarious, as L’Arche provides long-term housing to people with special needs living in poverty.
- L’Arche’s vision is “A world where everyone belongs”. We believe that this embodies social justice at its purest. We are all equal in God’s eyes. We all contribute to the best of our ability.
- Most L’Arche members are on Ontario Disability Support (ODSP). If L’Arche weren’t there, they would be in inadequate housing, or at home with aging parents.
- L’Arche Toronto provides daytime programming and supports that reduce the effects of poverty such as social isolation and lack of learning, and provides creative and self-care/improvement opportunities.
- This opens a different window for volunteering at Fairlawn, and volunteering that may bring in more of a spiritual dimension.
L’Arche Toronto is pleased to share a video by local filmmaker and journalist, Kevin Spargaitus, which provides a glimpse into a day in the life of core member, Janet.
Thanks from L’Arche to Fairlawn
What a lovely surprise met me when I arrived at work this morning, a cheque from Fairlawn Avenue United Church! Thank you to you and the Embrace Action Fund Team. We are most appreciation of your ongoing support and extraordinary interest in L’Arche Toronto.
Caroline Hughey, Development Coordinator, L’Arche Toronto